Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: pgsql: We're going to have to spell dotless i
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi, Hannu,

Hannu Krosing wrote:

>>> Are you sure it's UCS-4 ? I've always thought that XML is what is given
>>> in <xml > tag, and utf-8 if no charset is given.
>> You have to distinguish between the supported charset, and the document
>> encoding.
> UCS-4 and UTF-8 are both encodings for UNICODE
> see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-32

Yes, I know.

The Point I wanted to make was that the document encoding is independent
from the allowed charset (except having to be a subset).

That is what XML entities were defined for.

So even in an document using LATIN-1 as encoding, the charset still is
Unicode, giving us the possibility to use &entities; to use non-latin1
characters.

HTH,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org