Re: Updated Press Release Draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Updated Press Release Draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Uh, Dtrace only works on one, at best two platforms.  That
>> doesn't
>>> make it a very significant feature.
>> I'm talking about from a press perspective.  DTrace has gotten a
>> lot of ink lately, and is effectively a "buzzword" reporters on the
>> tech beat will recognize.
>
> Really? I was just about to comment that "nobody except insiders really
> know what DTrace is".. Are you sure you're not reading internal Sun
> magazines? ;-)

Unless I can use Dtrace on standard Linux or Win32 (god help us) then
Dtrace is pretty much irrelevant. Solaris is easily our least deployed
platform. Why are we focusing so much on a Sun technology?

Yes I know that it runs on FreeBSD (if is is sparc). Yes I know it will
be included in Leopard (which is not out yet).

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/