Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres

From: Andreas Pflug
Subject: Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres
Date: ,
List: pgsql-advocacy

Tree view

Porting CRM Application to Postgres  (Rich Shepard, )
 Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  (Andreas Pflug, )
  Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  (Rich Shepard, )
   Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  (Andreas Pflug, )
    Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  (Rich Shepard, )
   Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  (Robert Treat, )
    Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  (Rich Shepard, )
     Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  (Robert Treat, )
      Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  ("Christopher Kings-Lynne", )
 Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  (, )
  Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  (Rich Shepard, )
 Re: Porting CRM Application to Postgres  ("Joshua D. Drake", )

Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I was advised to ask on this list for ideas on assisting application
> developers quickly port their hard-wired MySQL application to
> postgres.  My
> need (and that of others who have contacted me about the same issue)
> is with
> XRMS <http://xrms.sourceforge.net/>. While I'm not a fan of web-based
> applications, I'm apparently in the minority on this issue, so I just
> shrug
> and use them because I have no options.
>
>   Xrms is the best I've seen in the sales administration/customer
> (client)
> relationship management arena. It is much better for solo consultants or
> small companies without a separate sales department, but it can also
> be used
> by the latter. It's written in php and uses the ADOdb dbms abstraction
> toolkit. When I inquired about difficulties supporting postgres on the
> ADOdb
> mail list, I learned that it's very easy to write a mysql-specific
> application using adodb to communicate between the middleware and the
> dbms
> backend. Apparently, use of postgres reserved words and mysql-specific
> extensions or non-compliant syntax are the most likely stumbling blocks.
>
>   Last January, I saw interest in porting the application to postgres
> in the
> xrms web forum. I added my support to the request. Since then, I've done
> some work in terms of table and attribute name capitalization for the
> xrms
> developer who is looking at the postgres port. However, over the past
> month
> or so he does not respond to my emails offering help if he provides me
> with
> direction.
>
>   It would probably take too much time and effort to port xrms into a
> stand
> alone application using python and the wxPython UI toolset. But, if those
> who know much more about postgres and php than do I can get the xrms
> project
> leader to agree to accept help, then those of us who have neither the
> need
> nor the desire for multiple dbms' on our systems, each to support a
> specific
> application, would be grateful.
Um, they already state " To the best of our knowledge, XRMS has been
successfully deployed on ..., Postgres, ..."
Maybe you just need a recent update.

Regards,
Andreas