Re: standard interfaces for replication providers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Schiltknecht
Subject Re: standard interfaces for replication providers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Alfranio,

alfranio correia junior wrote:
> Of course not...
> It is impossible to build a replication system entirely by only using
> triggers...

Hm, I don't think it's impossible, just unpractical. Anyway, if you say
so yourself, I really doubt the use of GAPI. If you need to create your
own hooks anyway beside GAPI, why use GAPI at all? Better have one kind
of 'hooking' (i.e. with a dynamically loaded library).

> But definitely, there is a set of common requirements among a variety of
> replication systems. Moreover, such requirements are also useful to
> other systems as well.

So far, they are only partly usable for replication. I never looked into
materialized views or anything else that would benefit from such triggers.

Regards

Markus