Re: 8.2 features status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: 8.2 features status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> Or try a new system, and I will keep doing what I do, and we can see
>>> which system works best.
>>>

>> Excellent idea. We don't have to have a one size fits all set of
>> procedures anyway - in fact I think it might be a mistake. Maybe we
>> should select a few major features that people will work on for 8.3 and
>> try a different model. We could then assess things around this time next
>> cycle.
>>

> My big point is that we should choose a system that would have had a
> better chance of completing features than what we have used in the past,
> and no one has suggested one.
>
> It is just like the bug tracker issue.  Many think we need a bugtracker,
> but when I ask to see a project that has one that is better than what we
> have now, no one responds.  Again, the same criteria should be applied
> to this issue.
>
> If people want to do something different with no objective hope it will
> be better, feel free to go ahead and do it, but I can't get excited
> about spending time on it.

I give up. You say "try something else and we'll see what works best."
I respond "great idea.". Then you say "but it won't work anyway." Is it
any wonder people get frustrated? Why give the illusion of an open mind
when you have already made up your mind?

cheers

andrew