Re: Best Procedural Language? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kenneth Downs
Subject Re: Best Procedural Language?
Date
List pgsql-general
Carlo Stonebanks wrote:
plPHP is not as mature as plTcl (or is that plTclng). However it is very
well developed and maintained. Heck, companies are even holding talks and
training classes on it now.
What is lacking in plPHP? To be honest, even though I am a Tcl developer I
would rather develop in PHP, and I know next to NOTHING about PHP!

The thing is that Tcl leaves a bad taste in a lot of programmer's mouths -
and I can't blame them. PHP looks and behaves like a "normal" programming
language, so there's more likelyhood that other programmers will be able to
maintain my code. (Imagine that - a developer worrying about how the NEXT
developer will maintain his code! Think the idea will catch on?)

I couldn't find a recent release of plPHP, and have no idea of its status.
ww.commandprompt.com/community/plphp/

Last release was 2005.  This is the first release that is actually useful, IMHO, because it allows SQL commands buried in the code, prior releases did not.

My own totally unscientific I-didn't-get-very-thorough result from a trial installation was that it was sloooooow, as in less than half the speed of some comparable code in plperl.   But I never isolated what was causing the slowdown and so I can't really say much more.  It was bad enough though that I abandoned it very quickly, sucked in my gut and coded some perl.
Carlo

              http://archives.postgresql.org

Attachment