Re: plPHP and plRuby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: plPHP and plRuby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ron Mayer wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> The difference is that I will have reasonable confidence that
>>> the README.TXT under "src/pl" will give instructions that match
>>> the version of PostgreSQL that I have.   I assume that README
>>> will call out the version of PL/R or PL/Ruby that I want that
>>> was tested with the release of PostgreSQL I have.
>>
>> On what do you base that assumption?  A README file laying about in an
>> otherwise unused part of the source tree is the very definition of "out
>> of sight, out of mind".
>
> I was hoping it would say something like
>
>   PostgreSQL 8.2.0 has been tested with version XX.YY.01 of PL/Whatever
>   You can install it by getting that release and doing the following.
>
> with specific version numbers rather than links to URLS that would
> change.
>
> It that wasn't the intent of the README.TXT, I'm not sure what is.

This is way too DIY.

The only thing I think might be worthwhile (and it would help from a
buildfarm POV) would be something to assist an integrated build from
disparate sources.

Just a Readme doesn't come close to what I think we need in the general
case.

cheers

andrew