Re: monolithic distro - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lukas Smith
Subject Re: monolithic distro
Date
Re: monolithic distro  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Lukas Smith wrote:
> Lukas Smith wrote:
>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>>
>>> Does MySQL have a monolithic distribution?
>>
>> Well obviously MySQL is missing alot of functionality that you will
>> not get in any version of MySQL though.
>>
>> However it comes with replication, fulltext indexes out of the box.
>> They currently only have a single stored procedure language (partial
>> SQL:2003 implementation).
>
> Oh and they also ship a federated (AFAIK their dblink answer) along with
> several other storage engines for various specific tasks.

Since I appreantly like monologs .. MySQL also has other features that
are not available via pgfoundery like being able to determine the
default charset on the database, table and column level, as well as
COLLATE support to determine the sort order at runtime.

Anyways what I want to make clear is simply that there are plenty of
features that come with the default distro of other RDBMS that are only
available via the pgfoundery. There are also plenty of features
available in pgfoundry not available in any other RDBMS. However newbies
that evaluate which RDBMS to use will probably never know.

regards,
Lukas