Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
List pgsql-hackers
Ühel kenal päeval, K, 2006-07-12 kell 17:48, kirjutas Thomas Hallgren:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > There is in effect no API at all, other than what is available to all
> > backend modules. If someone wants to create an API which will be both
> > sufficiently stable and sufficiently complete to meet the needs of the
> > various PLs (especially, as Hannu rightly observes, any new PLs that
> > come along) then  we can revisit this question. Until then I suggest
> > that it is at best premature. I am not even sure such a thing is
> > actually possible.
> >
> I concur with this. The needs for a module like PL/Java is very different then the needs of
> PL/Perl so let's get some more PL's in before we do a refactoring effort to create common
> API's. Personally, I'm not sure what would be included. The call handler API's together with
> the SPI API's are in essence what you need. The rest is fairly specialized anyway.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/python seems to do something similar to
what you describe for PL/Java. For example it is using postgreSQLs
native types and operators for calculations instead of converting types
to pl's native types.

and it also has lots of code lines ;)

--
Hannu Krosing