Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Three weeks left until feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
mark@mark.mielke.cc wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 01:02:16PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> PL/Java will improve the visibility of PL/Java to people who won't go
>> looking for it.  That's fine, but ultimately that's a packaging argument
>> not a development argument.  The people who think PL/Java is an
>> essential checklist item undoubtedly also think JDBC is an essential
>> checklist item, but I'm not seeing any groundswell of support for
>> putting JDBC back into core.  Instead we expect packagers (like the RPM
>> set) to make JDBC available alongside the core postgres packages.
>> That's how PL/Java ought to be handled, too, IMHO.
>
> JDBC is different, in that it doesn't require the PostgreSQL core to
> build. It's 100% native Java, and as such, I see benefit to it being
> distributed separately.

PLJava does not need PostgreSQL core to build either. It needs:

pgxs + Postgresql libs + PostgreSQL headers

In essence the PostgreSQL SDK.

If I read what Thomas wrote (late) last night correctly.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/