Re: postgresql live-cd - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robin Gareus
Subject Re: postgresql live-cd
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
>>  - apache + pgphpadmin, sshd,... are installed but not started by
>>    default. (there's even a start button in the KDE menu for 'em ;-)
>
> another good idea i.e. make sure the user knows he has a choice

There's a note on the "Notes" page of the html doc. - maybe a Desktop
icon would be more suitable ;)
I'll fix that later tonight (CEST) - I'll redo the pg-live knoppix iso
image again - the current (rev08) has a small Bug: every item in the
KDE-knoppix menu is duplicated. :(

>>  - procedural lang support seems to be identical
>> (perl,tcl,php,r,python)
>
> Did you create an R environment for plr?

not really. I was thinking of installing lapack and the various
available debian packages, but was scared about diskspace (now I might
want to get back and install some of 'em.)

> It's been a year since I looked at knoppix, has it become easier to
install?
I didn't try it myself.

> I would like to see the development of a standard set of documentation
> for future live-cds and see about getting them translated into other
> languages thus enabling non-english venues with a live cd. Perhaps
> doing it in French could be the next translation. Comments?

I agree - the current doc we included is definitly just tentative.
(it is located on the container-iso separated from the system-image-iso,
so it's also easy to change) - but given the tight deadline, I didn't
bother to cook something up, yet: we could start a cvs/svn repo on
pgfoundry or use a wiki to collect the content...

and yes: If we're gonna keep 200MB of language support files to the iso,
we should at least translate the welcome screen of the pg_live
documentation :)

-robin