Re: Generic Monitoring Framework Proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Lor
Subject Re: Generic Monitoring Framework Proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:

>This needs to work on Linux and Windows, minimum, also.

The proposed solution will work on Linux & Windows if they similar
facility that the macros can map to. Otherwise, the macros stay as
no-ops and will not affect those platforms at all.

>It's obviously impossible to move a production system to a different OS
>just to use a cool tracing tool. So the architecture must intelligently
>handle the needs of multiple OS - even if the underlying facilities on
>them do not yet provide what we'd like. So I'm OK with Solaris being the
>best, just as long as its not the only one that benefits.

The way it's proposed now, any OS can use the same interfaces and map to
their underlying facilities. Does it look reasonable?

Regards,
Robert