Re: Certification - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: Certification
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> I think the difficult that we're likely to run into doing this as a
> community project is that coming up with a certification program
> involves somebody making decisions as to what material will be
> included in the certification and what material will not.  Generally,
> if you have 5 community members, they will have 6 opinions on any
> given topic, so getting cross-company agreement on exactly what should
> be part of a certification exam sounds hard.  If the content of that

Why so we need cross-company agreement? Are those of us that work for one of
the PostgreSQL-related companies no longer community members and only allowed
to speak on behalf of their employer? Actually I'm pretty sure this is not
what you want to say Robert.

> exam is known in detail to some companies and not others, those
> companies have a major advantage in preparing a training curriculum
> that will let people pass the exam.  If the content of the exam is

They way the Linux Foundation handled the Linux certs, they also developed an
online training course. If they did the same for PostgreSQL the curriculum
would be public anyway. However, this does not take away the need for in-class
trainings run by companies, nor does it remove the need for special
certifications against some companies' products. But again, I wonder why we as
community discuss commercial details of some companies' business models.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Meskes at (Debian|Postgresql) dot Org