Re: PostgreSQL and Xeon MP - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sven Geisler
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and Xeon MP
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Guillaume,

Guillaume Smet schrieb:
>> How much faster is the XEON DP?
>
> Well, on high load, PostgreSQL scales well on the DP (load at 40,
> queries slower but still performing well) and is awfully slow on the
> MP box.

I know what you mean with awfully slow.
I think, your application is facing contention. The contention becomes
larger as more CPU you have. PostgreSQL 8.1 is addressing contention on
multiprocessor servers as you mentioned before.

I guess, you will see that your 4-way XEON MP isn't that bad if you
compare both servers with the same PostgreSQL version.

Regards
Sven.