Re: PostgreSQL and Xeon MP - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Guillaume Smet
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and Xeon MP
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 3/16/06, Sven Geisler <sgeisler@aeccom.com> wrote:
> Did you compare 7.4 on a 4-way with 8.1 on a 2-way?

I know there are too many parameters changing between the two servers
but I can't really change anything before tuesday. On tuesday, we will
be able to compare both servers with the same software.

> How many queries and clients did you use to test the performance?

Googlebot is indexing this site generating 2-3 mbits/s of traffic so
we use the googlebot to stress this server. There was a lot of clients
and a lot of queries.

> How much faster is the XEON DP?

Well, on high load, PostgreSQL scales well on the DP (load at 40,
queries slower but still performing well) and is awfully slow on the
MP box.