Re: hi problem with installing postgresql8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: hi problem with installing postgresql8.1
Date
List pgsql-general
venu gopal schrieb:
> Hi all,
>     I am new to pgsql family.I had a problem with
> installing postgres8.1 i was getting the following
> error at the 4th step of installation the error is as
> follows:
>
> Data directory error:
>   The specified data directory is not empty
>
>    If you have an existing database with teh same
> major version number,you do not need to initialise a
> database cluster.
>    If you have an existing database with the same
> major version you need to backup your old database and
> create a new one.
>
>    why this warning actually arises.If  I install by
> unchecking the initialise database cluster then the
> next three steps of installation procedure is not
> shown.It goes directly installation and starts
> installation after some time a fatal error arises
> saying accont not matching....................

Why not just try the obvious and delete anything in
the target installation directory and retry?
Maybe you have some old version from earlier attempt
there? Alternatively you could install into another
location. Did you make sure you dont have another
postgres version installed and even actually running?