Re: 500x speed-down: Wrong query plan? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alessandro Baretta
Subject Re: 500x speed-down: Wrong query plan?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> Alessandro Baretta <a.baretta@barettadeit.com> writes:
>
>>Matteo Beccati wrote:
>>
>>>Are you sure that you recentrly ANALYZED the table "ubicazione"? If so,
>>>try to increase statistics for the id_ente column.
>

>>No, this is not the problem. I increased the amount of statistics with ALTER
>>TABLE ... SET STATISTICS 1000, which is as much as I can have.
>

> What Matteo wanted to know is if you'd done an ANALYZE afterward.  ALTER
> TABLE SET STATISTICS doesn't in itself update the statistics.

I probably forgot to mention that I have vacuum-analyze the after this
operation, and, since I did not manage to get the index to work, I
vacuum-analyzed several times more, just to be on the safe side.

> What do you get from
>
> EXPLAIN SELECT * FROM articolo WHERE articolo.xdbs_modified > '2006-01-08 18:25:00+01';
>
> I'm curious to see how many rows the planner thinks this will produce,
> and whether it will use the index or not.

dmd-freerp-1-alex=# EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM articolo WHERE
articolo.xdbs_modified > '2006-01-08 18:25:00+01';
                                                                 QUERY PLAN

  Index Scan using articolo_modified_index on articolo  (cost=0.00..3914.91
rows=17697 width=653) (actual time=0.032..0.032 rows=0 loops=1)
    Index Cond: (xdbs_modified > '2006-01-08 18:25:00'::timestamp without time zone)
  Total runtime: 0.150 ms
(3 rows)

The planner gets tricked only by *SOME* join queries.

> Also, I gather from the plan choices that the condition id_ente = 'dmd'
> isn't very selective ... what fraction of the rows in each table
> satisfy that?

In most situation, this condition selects all the tuples. "id_ente" selects the
"owner of the data". Since, in most situations, companies do not share a
database between them--although the application allows it--filtering according
to 'id_ente' is like to filtering at all. Yet, this field is used in the
indexes, so the condition ought to be specified in the queries anyhow.

http://www.barettadeit.com/
Baretta DE&IT
A division of Baretta SRL

tel. +39 02 370 111 55