Re: Overriding the optimizer - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig A. James
Subject Re: Overriding the optimizer
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> This discussion has been had before (many times) ... see the -hackers
> archives for detailed arguments.  The one that carries the most weight
> in my mind is that planner hints embedded in applications will not adapt
> to changing circumstances --- the plan that was best when you designed
> the code might not be best today.

Absolutely right.  But what am I supposed to do *today* if the planner makes a mistake?  Shut down my web site?

Ropes are useful, but you can hang yourself with them.  Knives are useful, but you can cut yourself with them.  Should
weban useful tools because they cause harm to the careless?

Craig