Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases ( - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alan Stange
Subject Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Date
List pgsql-performance
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Alan,
>
> On 11/18/05 5:41 AM, "Alan Stange" <stange@rentec.com> wrote:
>

>> That's interesting, as I occasionally see more than 110MB/s of
>> postgresql IO on our system.  I'm using a 32KB block size, which has
>> been a huge win in performance for our usage patterns.   300GB database
>> with a lot of turnover.  A vacuum analyze now takes about 3 hours, which
>> is much shorter than before.  Postgresql 8.1, dual opteron, 8GB memory,
>> Linux 2.6.11, FC drives.
>>

> 300GB / 3 hours = 27MB/s.

That's 3 hours under load, with 80 compute clients beating on the
database at the same time.   We have the stats turned way up, so the
analyze tends to read a big chunk of the tables a second time as
well.    We typically don't have three hours a day of idle time.

-- Alan