Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases ( - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (
Date
Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases (  ("Luke Lonergan" <llonergan@greenplum.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Dave Cramer wrote:

> On 18-Nov-05, at 1:07 AM, Luke Lonergan wrote:
>
>> Postgres + Any x86 CPU from 2.4GHz up to Opteron 280 is CPU bound  after
>> 110MB/s of I/O.  This is true of Postgres 7.4, 8.0 and 8.1.
>>
>> A $1,000 system with one CPU and two SATA disks in a software RAID0  will
>> perform exactly the same as a $80,000 system with 8 dual core CPUs
>> and the
>> world's best SCSI RAID hardware on a large database for decision  support
>> (what the poster asked about).
>

> Now there's an interesting line drawn in the sand. I presume you have
> numbers to back this up ?
>
> This should draw some interesting posts.

Well, I'm prepared to swap Luke *TWO* $1000 systems for one $80,000
system if he's got one going :-)

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd