Re: Beyond the 1600 columns limit on windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: Beyond the 1600 columns limit on windows
Date
Re: Beyond the 1600 columns limit on windows  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Alex Stapleton schrieb:

> On 8 Nov 2005, at 12:50, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>
>> Evandro's mailing lists (Please, don't send personal messages to  this
>> address) schrieb:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>  I would like to know if it is possible to have more than 1600
>>> columns on windows without recompiling postgres.
>>>

>> I would like to know who on earth needs 1600 columns and even beyond?
>> Hint: you can have practically unlimited rows in your n:m table :-)
>>

> Well this screams random arbitrary limit to me. Why does this limit
> exist? What ever happened to the holy 0,1,infinity triumvirate?

I guess it eases implementation and there is no reason to go so high
on columns either. The limit could even be lower w/o and hurts but
1600 seems skyrocket high enough (read unlimited :-)