Re: [Freegis-list] Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users (OT) - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Arnulf Christl
Subject Re: [Freegis-list] Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users (OT)
Date
postgis / mediawiki / postgresql was Re: [Freegis-list] Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users (OT)  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
Re: [Freegis-list] Re: [GENERAL] Map of Postgresql Users  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-www
Claire McLister wrote:
> Good point. This might actually be a problem. Google Maps API requires
> each server that is serving the map to be registered with Google, and
> send the corresponding key when making the Javascript request.
>
> Unless the mirrors can each send their own keys, this will not work.
>
> Claire

Hi, more cross posting...

Sounds like this task should be solved using WMS and WFS services.
Google is cool but in order to foster both Open Source and standards
(OGC) we would suggest to use e.g. MapServer as WMS to produce the maps
and GeoServer as WFS to manage geomtries. Those OWS services could then
be included in any OWS client, web interface, etc. Everything is there
and ready to go, the effort to get it to run should be minimal.

Our clients usually operate PostgreSQL databases with several million
geometries - those 500 to 600 markers could be hosted on any
antediluvian box and still be fast. You will know what to about
mirroring, we would probably suggest to implement P2P - read Ward
Cunninghams ideas  int he keynote at the Wikimania conference this summer...

We have done the user mmapping Mapbender users with tooltips, direct
link to the website, etc. You can have a look at it on the project
homepage http://www.mapbender.org
Its done Wiki-style so that users can enter their own position (use the
blue flag) or remove or edit any position (use the i-button). No user
accounts yet but security and authentication is in place and have just
not yet been necessary (still waiting for spatial spam...)

We will spread word about spatial data management using
PostgreSQL/PostGIS with MapServer, GeoServer etc. at the
http://www.opendbcon.net (database fundamentals) on Nov. 8. and 9. in
Frankfurt/Main, Germany.

This idea is on short notice but i would be really very excited if i
could show the map there! We suggest the following alterantive actions:

- It should be easy to add a geometry_column to the existing PostgreSQL
database which alredy has the positions. Add a GeoServer WFS to access
the geomtry and a MapServer for WMS display.
- Alternatively send Paolo or us or both the geo-positions and we add
them to our existing OWS infrastructure (that will takt a few hours of
work only).

Beause there is not so much time until the conference this would just be
be a prototype which should in the long run move to the PostgreSQL or
PostGIS homepage or Wiki or both. Yet another idea:  Mediawiki (the
Wikipedia software) is also right now introducing geometries to the Wiki
database - obviously also using PostgreSQL/PostGIS. This would be
another cool multiplier.. and there we also meet with Google again.

Best, Arnulf.