Re: Postgresql replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: Postgresql replication
Date
List pgsql-general
Bohdan Linda schrieb:
> I would have a slight offtopic question, this is issue only of pgsql or
> there are some other db solutions which have good performance when doing
> this kind of replication across the world.

it depends entirely on your application. There is no "one size
fits all"

For example to have an online backup, WAL archiving to remote
sites is often sufficient.

However you cannot have synchronous multimaster replication
over slow lines and high performance with updates the same
time.

There is always a tradeoff in any (even in high cost
commercial solutions) you have to carefully consider.

> Regards,
> Bohdan
>
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 09:01:49AM +0200, William Yu wrote:
>
>>It provides pseudo relief if all your servers are in the same building.
>>Having a front-end pgpool connector pointing to servers across the world
>>is not workable -- performance ends up being completely decrepit due to
>>the high latency.
>>
>>Which is the problem we face. Great, you've got multiple servers for
>>failover. Too bad it doesn't do much good if your building gets hit by
>>fire/earthquake/hurricane/etc.

This would remove the application using that data too, or not? ;)