Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions
Date
Re: Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions
Re: Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions
List pgsql-hackers
Hey everyone,

I'm sure this has been thought of but was wondering whether anyone had
discussed the allowance of run-time block size specifications at the
tablespace level?  I know that a change such as this would substantially
impact buffer operations, transactions, access methods, the storage
manager, and a lot of other stuff, however it would give an
administrator the ability to inhance performance for specific applications.

Arguably, one can set the block size at compile-time, but for a system
running multiple databases it *may* be a nice feature.  Would it be used
a lot?  Probably not.  Would I use it?  Certainly!  Would some of my
clients use it?  Yes.

Perhaps a TODO item for some advantageous company to fund?

-Jonah