Re: Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions
Date
Re: Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Jonah H. Harris" <jharris@tvi.edu> writes:
> I'm sure this has been thought of but was wondering whether anyone had
> discussed the allowance of run-time block size specifications at the
> tablespace level?

Can you produce any evidence whatsoever that this could be worth the cost?
Aside from the nontrivial development effort needed, there would be
runtime inefficiencies created --- for instance, inefficient use of
buffer pool storage because it'd no longer be true that any buffer could
hold any block.  Without some pretty compelling evidence, I wouldn't
even waste any time thinking about it ...