Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Andrew, Merlin,
>

>>My approach was to remove all significant permissions (including on the
>>catalog) from public and regrant them to a pseudopublic group,
>>comprising designated users. The designated users would notice no
>>difference at all, while everyone else would be able to see only what
>>was explicitly granted to them. But there would be lots of testing and
>>thinking to be done before releasing it into the wild :-)
>>

><plug>Doesn't it seem like a really complete set of system views (based on
>information_schema or otherwise) would potentially allow securing the
>pg_catalog?</plug>

Not really, no. It would just be one more thing that my hardening script
had to remove permissions from.

I still have an open mind about the sysviews project, but the more
oversold, hyped and promoted with bogus arguments it gets the more
skeptical I become.

cheers

andrew