Re: pgadmin3 on Debian testing - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Raphaël Enrici
Subject Re: pgadmin3 on Debian testing
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Nicol Hermann wrote:
> Hi Raphael,

Hi Nicol,

I'm CCing pgadmin-hackers so that the informations I give to you can
help others until I find time to get a better and more proper situation.

> i like to install list pgadminIII on my debian testing system.
> According to the docs at http://www.pgadmin.org/download.php i insert
> the following line into my /etc/apt/source.list
> deb
> ftp://ftp3.de.postgresql.org/pub/Mirrors/ftp.postgresql.org/pgadmin3/release/debian testing pgadmin
> After apt-get update and
> apt-get install pgadmin3 pgadmin3-data
> i receive the following error message.
> Die folgenden Pakete haben nichterfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
>   pgadmin3: Hängt ab: libwxgtk2.5.3 (>= 2.5.3.2) ist aber nicht
> installierbar
> E: Kaputte Pakete
> It seems that pgadmin3 needs libwxgtk2.5.3 but
> apt-cache search libwxgtk
> returns only the version libwxgtk2.4
> (libwxgtk2.4 - wxWindows Cross-platform C++ GUI toolkit (GTK+ runtime) )
> Where do i get the needed version of libwxgtk? Do you have a source.list
> entry for me?
> Thank you very
> Nicol

I'm pasting a mail I sent offlist about one month ago in reply to Luca
"Doe" who was in the situation you've just described.
Since this mail, things have changed a bit (Ron Lee asked for wxWidgets
2.5 removal from Debian Official and is preparing wxWidgets 2.6), but it
should still be possible to install things as described above.

Note, that Dave Page (our preferred project leader [<--- one guinness
please for such compliment;p...]) asked me to do some cleaning in the
Debian snapshot repository. It seems that I should definitely find time
to do this. It's now priority number one with building an up to date
snapshot :)

Don't hesitate to come back to us if the workaround provided does not
work for you (please CC the list).

Regards,
Raphaël

<---------- previous offlist mail ------------->
Hi Luca,

as I'm lacking free time (and it's about to be like this for about 2
month=s), the pgAdmin III Debian snapshot repository is mostly broken.

If you don't need the really latest version (1.2.1), I'd recommend you
use= the official debian/unstable pgAdmin package and debian/unstable
libwxgtk=
2.5.

Personnaly, I do some pinning so that I only use debian/unstable when
really mandatory.
To achieve this goal here is my configuration:

/etc/apt/preferences contains this:
<--------- cut ------------>
Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 700

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 650

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 600
<--------- cut ----------->

Keep your /etc/apt/sources.list as is and add this line:
deb ftp://ftp2.it.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
(you'll probably need to comment out the ftp2.fr.postgresql.org lines
too...)
then:
apt-get update ; apt-get -ud install pgadmin3
(if you are ok with the downloaded file, then apt-get -u install pgadmin3).

should do the trick :
it should install pgadmin3 and libwxgtk2.5 from unstable and keep other
packages from testing.

Don't hesitate to contact me for further information... I mean if I'm
not clear enough  ;)

HTH
Raphaël
P.S. In the end you can remove debian/unstable line from your
/etc/apt/sources.list to prevent further use of debian/unstable.
P.S.2 I'll try to find the time to clear things for debian/testing
during this month... I can't promise  ;)