Re: Whence the Opterons?

From: Steve Poe
Subject: Re: Whence the Opterons?
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Whence the Opterons?  (Mischa Sandberg, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Ian Meyer, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Steve Poe, )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Gavin M. Roy", )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Andrew Sullivan, )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Sam Vilain, )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Mischa Sandberg, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Geoffrey, )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (John A Meinel, )
   Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Geoffrey, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Anjan Dave", )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (John A Meinel, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Anjan Dave", )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (John A Meinel, )
   Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Jeff Frost, )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (William Yu, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Anjan Dave", )
  Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Andrew Rawnsley, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Magnus Hagander", )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  (Richard Rowell, )
 Re: Whence the Opterons?  ("Mohan, Ross", )

>IBM, Sun and HP have their fairly pricey Opteron systems.
>The IT people are not swell about unsupported purchases off ebay.

Mischa,

I certainly understand your concern, but the  price and support
sometimes go hand-in-hand. You may have to pick your batttles if your
want more bang for the buck or more support. I might be wrong on this,
but not everything you buy on E-Bay is unsupported.

We purchase a dual Operton from Sun off their E-Bay store  for about $3K
less than the "buy it now" price.

 From an IT perspective, support is not as critical if I can do it
myself. If it is for business 24/7 operations, then the company should
be able to put some money behind what they want to put their business
on. Your mileage may vary.

Steve