Re: pgFoundry - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: pgFoundry
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>>> This has been discussed several times before ... pgFoundry offers us
>>> nothing that we don't already have,
>>

>> Actually it does:
>>
>> 1. Public presentation of the project development
>

> Sounds like what http://www.postgresql.org is either doing, or should be
> extended to do ...

No that is public presentation of the project not project development.

>> 2. Public presentation of the project bugs
>

> Same as 1, but maybe a bit more forcefully by ppl like Tom ... god, Josh
> Berkus even spent the time going through all the various 'bug tracking
> tools' out there to find something that would satisfy the requirement by
> ppl like Tom to *not* have a web interface, while providing one, and
> none of them (and, if I recall correctly, *especially* not pgFoundry)

The new version of PgFoundry provides a SOAP interface so there is no
reason why we could not create a simple interface for command line
access (which I would use as well)

>> 3. Public presentation of the project tracker and docs
>

> Isn't that what http://www.postgresql.org is for?

Well not in my mind although it could be extended to. Case in point
where do I go on the website to see what the current todo and progress
based on the todos?

I click on Developers->RoadMap->TODO

That is great (seriously) but from a developer (at least in my mind) it
doesn't tell me what I want to know.

Now look at:

http://gforge.org/tracker/?atid=105&group_id=1&func=browse

http://gforge.org/forum/?group_id=1

http://gforge.org/pm/task.php?group_project_id=54&group_id=1&func=browse

The color scheme is bad but I think it makes my point.

We don't have anything like this, and I think it would be beneficial.

>> The new people, the people who are coming to PostgreSQL they are
>> looking for the Web, they want an interface that they can peruse,
>> easily search, see priority etc...
>

> Sounds like what http://www.postgresql.org is either doing, or should be
> extended to do ...

I am talking about new developers. Developers want good, solid
information that is easy to find. That is not always the case as we have
recently been speaking about at length in several different threads.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting