Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Tom Lane wrote:
>

>>I want them all in the same CVS basically to avoid any version skew
>>issues.  They should always have the same branches and the same tags
>>as the core, for instance; and it seems hard to keep separate
>>repositories in sync that closely.
>>

>Can you have the same tags across different modules in the same CVS
>server?  If so, that would work.

I'm not sure you can tag more than one module at a time. But why would a
different module be needed? We split the current single module into
different tarballs, don't we?

>>But packaging them as separately buildable tarballs that depend only
>>on the installed core fileset (headers + pgxs) seems a fine idea.
>>

>If, as it currently appears, we'll end up moving in all of plphp,
>pljava, plr, then we might as well be consistent and offer all
>procedural languages, with the possible exception of plpgsql,
>exclusively as a separate tarball, to be released exactly when a server
>release is done.

One per language, or just an "extra language" pack?

>Of course, there are a bunch of build infrastructure issues to be worked
>out, but let's settle on the tree structure first and then think about
>the build issues.  (But don't just move stuff and *then* think about
>the build issues.)

I agree.

I hope we can also still configure/build/test as now - if not you will
make my life harder, and it will take lots longer to implement my plan
to test PLs in buildfarm.

cheers

andrew