Re: Views, views, views! (long) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tim Allen
Subject Re: Views, views, views! (long)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> PG hackers,

[snip]

> What We Need From Hackers --------------------------------------
> (other than patch approval, that is) As stated above, these system
> views, once incorporated into a pg distribution, are likely to be
> with us *forever*.   As such, we really can't afford to do major
> refactoring of the column names and structure once they're released.
>  So it's really, really, important for everyone on hackers to look
> over the definitions below and find stuff that we've missed or
> doesn't make any sense. Also, we'd like to know about 8.1 changes
> that affect these views.

This all looks good to me, from a quick read through. I don't claim to
have examined the details, but the general idea is definitely something
that would be very worth having.

A nice thing to add would be a more human-comprehensible view of the
pg_locks table. I keep meaning to write a view for it myself, but
haven't ever gotten a round tuit.

Tim

Tim Allen          tim@proximity.com.au
Proximity Pty Ltd  http://www.proximity.com.au/  http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/rita_tim/