Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> I guess I don't see the problem of the PostgreSQL distribution being
>>> 11 megs, heck even 50 megs. I know that some places don't have the
>>> bandwidth we do but it only takes me about 90 seconds to download
>>> the distribution.
>>

>> Granted, "we in the West" are lucky ... but I know alot of ppl still
>> on dialup, and I believe there are still alot of places in Europe (or
>> is/was it just GB?) that pay per byte for their bandwidth ... even
>> myself, at home, on a cable modem, have at times found downloads to
>> be atrociously slow due to load n the network ...
>

> If anyone knows a *good* source for this sort of thing, please send me
> a URL, but a quick search on google finds:
>

> "The market share for permanent connections continued to increase in
> December and now accounts for 39.4 per cent of all connections. This
> compares with a market share of 21.9 per cent a year before."
>     http://www.i10.org.uk/pooled/articles/BF_NEWSART/view.asp?Q=BF_NEWSART_136457
>

> Which, to me, indicates that ~60.6% of all connections are still
> dial-up (does ISDN count as a permanent connection?) ... but, I don't
> know where they are getting their #s from, so, as I said, if someone
> else can point me to better stats, please do ...

Better stats are in the same article

Dial-up Internet connections continued to decrease, with a year on year
fall to December 2004 of 20.1 per cent. The decrease from November to
December 2004 was 3.1 per cent.
Although it's hard to discern what this really says ( fell 20 % or is
20% , either way we can see a trend here )

Even if 60.6 % of all connections are dial up; what percentage of people
downloading postgres are on dialup. The two numbers are not related.

How come we have never seen anyone complain on the lists that the
tarball is too big ( or have we )

This issue has come up before, and I opposed it then when the interfaces
were removed from the main tarball.
I really don't see the upside to reducing the size of the tarball at the
expense of ease of use.  Seems to me we are
bending over backwards to make it easy for people with dial up
connections to download our "enterprise class"
database.

Dave

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Dave Cramer