Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Montag, 2. Mai 2005 20:14 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
>
>>I posted this compromise and no one replied so I thought everyone was OK
>>with it.  It gets it into CVS, but has a separate compile stage to deal
>>with the recursive dependency problem.
>

> How will a "separate compile stage" work for actually building, say, RPM or
> Debian packages?  The only way I can see is wrapping up the PostgreSQL
> distribution tarball a second time as a "plphp" source package and build from
> there, which seems quite weird.

Well like many rpms it will have an external dependency. You must have
perl installed to install plPerl. The main problem here is that you
would need a base install of php at a minimum.

The PHP installed would not need to support PostgreSQL at the time. In
fact now that I think about it depending on how you did it, this doesn't
effect PostgreSQl as much as it effects PHP.

You could compile and install plPHP+PostgreSQL as long as PHP was
installed regardless of the extensions that PHP supported at the time.
So you wouldn't need to compile PostgreSQL twice but you may need to
compile PHP twice. Once for plPHP and then once if you wanted PostgreSQL
support.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.

Managed Services, Shared and Dedication Hosting