Re: Intervals - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jake Stride
Subject Re: Intervals
Date
List pgsql-general
That is helpful, I have created a slightly different function that
returns an interval in the format HH:MM not sure if it will help anyone
or anyone has any suggestions to improve it:

create function hours(interval) returns varchar as 'SELECT
floor(extract(epoch from $1)/3600) || \':\' || (cast(extract(epoch FROM
$1) AS integer)%3600)/60;' language SQL IMMUTABLE;

Thanks

Jake

Andrei Gaspar wrote:

> I had the same problem and wrote a small function
>
> create function hours(timestamp without time zone, timestamp without
> time zone) RETURNS integer as
> $$select cast( (cast($2 as date) - cast($1 as date)) * 24 +
> extract(hour from cast($2 as time) - cast($1 as time)) as integer)$$
> language SQL IMMUTABLE;
>
> Andrei
>
> Jake Stride wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to convert in interval into hours? I have a table that
>> records the amount of time worked by a person and want to sum up all the
>> hours, however with the column being an interval once you reach more
>> than 24 hours it turns that into a day. This is not what I want so
>> instead of outputting 1day 2:00:00 I would want to output 26:00:00 is
>> this possible?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jake

Jake Stride