Re: timestamp with time zone, retrieving input offset/timezone - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: timestamp with time zone, retrieving input offset/timezone
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4 Aug 2009, at 13:09, Der Tung wrote:

> But know I have two Users A and B in different  timezones.
> When A saves a timestamp I want B to:
> -          Get the timestamp displayed in his timezone
> -          Get the timestamp displayed in the timezone a originally
> saved it in
>
> Does the type “timestamp with time zone” contain the original
> timezone or at least the offset to UTC it was saved in, or does it
> just save the UTC time?
>
> If it saves the timezone/offset, how can I access it?

No it doesn't, but if you store User A's timestamp as both a timestamp
with time zone and as timestamp witout time zone you should get just
the values you're looking for.

=> select cast(now() at time zone 'CEST' as timestamp without time
zone) at time zone 'GMT';
            timezone
-------------------------------
  2009-08-06 14:15:07.444748+02
(1 row)

=> select cast(now() at time zone 'CEST' as timestamp with time zone)
at time zone 'GMT';
          timezone
  2009-08-06 10:15:12.66097
(1 row)