Re: type unknown - how important is it? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shachar Shemesh
Subject Re: type unknown - how important is it?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
>

>>Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>>

>>>I don't know type 705 well enough to decide which would work best. If
>>>it's guaranteed to be a validly encoded text string, then I'll just
>>>put it in as DBTYPE_WSTR, and get it done with.
>>>

>>I think it's safe to assume it will be encoded properly.
>>

>AFAICS it will work exactly like 'text'.
>
>            regards, tom lane

I have some doubts. From "textin":

>     /* verify encoding */
>     len = strlen(inputText);
>     pg_verifymbstr(inputText, len, false);

"unknownin" has no such thing. I'm worried. I realize that unknownout
and textout are precisely the same, but I can't say I understand completely.
         Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.