Re: Colours & sizes - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Emily Boyd
Subject Re: Colours & sizes
Date
List pgsql-www
Dave Page wrote:
> OK, I hacked about the stylesheets a bit and came up with this
> http://pgweb.pgadmin.org/
>
> Putting the font at 100% makes it even bigger than the current large
> size, so I just tweaked it a bit...

The font size doesn't need changing. Larger fonts look less professional
and are actually *harder* to read for most people (note that 67% of
survey respondents are happy with the current default).

Whichever default is chosen, there will *always* be some people who are
not happy - but they can simply choose the "larger" option and have
their preference remembered. While it may be a one-time inconvenience,
it makes more sense to inconvenience a minority rather than the majority
of site visitors (who are obviously satisfied with the current default).

By the way, the method we've employed for font sizing in the CSS is best
practice. We've used percentages that were specifically chosen as they
equal standard web font sizes; they have been tested extensively and
look the same on every browser/platform. It's not possible to just
"tweak" the percentages to change font sizes. The method we've used is
also the best for accessibility as it does not override the user's
preferences and allows font resizing in every browser.

Emily