Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?
Date
List pgsql-www
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom, Marc, Sean, Josh, etc:
>
> Well, here's some questions then, regarding choice of OS and mirror config:
>
> 1) Tom, are we encountering issues in configuration and maintenance of gForge
> on BSD which we would not encounter on Linux?  Are there any of these which
> are unresolved and/or will require re-config when we upgrade to 4.0?

My more specific question would be, what is Gforge developed on. If it
is developed on Linux, it in general will run better on Linux. Of course
it "can" run on BSD or Solaris etc... but most likely the Linux
environment is taken for granted.

> 2) Can we get a mirror which runs BSD on AMD64?  Or two?

I will do BSD if we have to, if the community requests it but Linux is
obviously preferrable.

> 3) Are any of us Linux guys prepared to deal with security updates, which are
> much more of an issue on Linux?

On Linux it is easy. I have no problem with it. Considering we already
handle all of it via our managed service it would be a difficult thing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared

Attachment