Re: production server down - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: production server down
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Yes, override everything there's a switch for.  Also check that the
> other values shown by pg_controldata look reasonable (the locale
> settings are probably the only ones you might get burned on).
>

>>>What if anything have you got in $PGDATA/pg_xlog?
>>
>>-rw-------  1 postgres postgres 16777216 Dec 13 15:39 0000016500000077
>
> Um.  That's so far from the values shown in pg_control that it's not funny.
>
> This is 7.4, right?  I have a crude xlog dump tool that I'll send you
> off-list.  We should be able to identify the latest checkpoint in the
> existing XLOG files, and that will give you something to work with.

Just wanted to close the loop for the sake of the list archives. With
Tom's xlog dump tool I was able (with a bunch of his help off-list) to
identify the needed parameters for pg_resetxlog. Running pg_resetxlog
got us back a running database. We're now involved in checking the data.

Thank you to everyone for your help -- especially Tom!

Joe