Re: production server down - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: production server down
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> My advice is to backup the $PGDATA tree (which you said was in
> progress), then pg_resetxlog, then cross-check the hell out of the data
> you see.  Only if you can detect some data problems can we guess at
> something else to do ...

Before running pg_resetxlog, a couple of questions:

1. Since it appears that pg_control is suspect, should I force it to be   rebuilt, and if so, how?

2. At the end of GuessControlValues is this comment:  /*   * XXX eventually, should try to grovel through old XLOG to
develop  * more accurate values for startupid, nextXID, and nextOID.   */   What would be involved in doing this, and
doyou think it would be   worth it?

Thanks,

Joe