Re: production server down - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: production server down
Date
Re: production server down
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Assuming the only real problem here is the control data (long shot, I
> know), and the actual database files and transaction logs are OK, is
> there any reasonable way to reconstruct the correct contol data? Or is
> that the point at which you use pg_resetxlog?

Well, the problem is that if you can't trust pg_control you don't know
what you can trust.

My advice is to backup the $PGDATA tree (which you said was in
progress), then pg_resetxlog, then cross-check the hell out of the data
you see.  Only if you can detect some data problems can we guess at
something else to do ...