Re: how much mem to give postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Matt Clark
Subject Re: how much mem to give postgres?
Date
List pgsql-performance
>How would I turn that off? In the kernel config? Not too familiar with
>that. I have a 2 proc xeon with 4 gigs of mem on the way for postgres,
>so I hope HT isn't a problem. If HT is turned off, does it just not
>use the other "half" of the processor? Or does the processor just work
>as one unit?

You turn it off in the BIOS.  There is no 'other half', the processor is
just pretending to have two cores by shuffling registers around, which
gives maybe a 5-10% performance gain in certain multithreaded
situations.  <opinion>A hack to overcome marchitactural limitations due
to the overly long pipeline in the Prescott core.</opinion>.  Really of
most use for desktop interactivity rather than actual throughput.