Re: version upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: version upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2004, at 6:30 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Huh?    You can replicate onto the same server.    Kicks your
>> performance in
>> the teeth but it works fine.   Heck, I did it on my laptop as a demo.
>
> Doesn't work If you have say, a 100GB db and only 50GB free space.
> Not nearly enough to duplicate. But plenty of breathing room for normal
> operation.
>
> Various db's support in place upgrades. and I'm thankful I tried
> Informix's out on a test db first because it simply scribbled over all
> the data instead of upgrading. Support told me that can happen
> sometimes.  COOL HUH?

I think that's an incredibly important point, i.e., even if you want to
do an "in place" upgrade, you ought to be testing it out first on a
*full* copy of your production database. IMHO, anything less than a full
test is playing fast-and-loose with your data. This in turn implies that
you need enough space for a full replica anyway, so why not use slony?

Joe