Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise aggregation/grouping - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Antonin Houska
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Partition-wise aggregation/grouping
Date
List pgsql-hackers

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAFjFpRfQ8GrQvzp3jA2wnLqrHmaXna-urjm_UY9BqXj=EaDTSA@mail.gmail.com#CAFjFpRfQ8GrQvzp3jA2wnLqrHmaXna-urjm_UY9BqXj=EaDTSA@mail.gmail.com

> > My patch does also create (partial) aggregation paths below the Append node,
> > but only expects SeqScan as input. Please check if you patch can be based on
> > this or if there's any conflict.
>
> Well, I haven't imposed any explicit restriction on the kind of path to be
> aggregated below the Append path. Maybe the only thing to do is to merge my
> patch with the "partition-wise join" patch (which I haven't checked yet).

Attached is a diff that contains both patches merged. This is just to prove my
assumption, details to be elaborated later. The scripts attached produce the
following plan in my environment:

                   QUERY PLAN
 Parallel Finalize HashAggregate
   Group Key: b_1.j
   ->  Append
         ->  Parallel Partial HashAggregate
               Group Key: b_1.j
               ->  Hash Join
                     Hash Cond: (b_1.j = c_1.k)
                     ->  Seq Scan on b_1
                     ->  Hash
                           ->  Seq Scan on c_1
         ->  Parallel Partial HashAggregate
               Group Key: b_2.j
               ->  Hash Join
                     Hash Cond: (b_2.j = c_2.k)
                     ->  Seq Scan on b_2
                     ->  Hash
                           ->  Seq Scan on c_2

Note that I had no better idea how to enforce the plan than hard-wiring zero
costs of the partial aggregation paths. This simulates the use case of partial
aggregation performed on remote node (postgres_fdw). Other use cases may
exist, but I only wanted to prove the concept in terms of coding so far.

--
Antonin Houska
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH