Re: Admin functions contrib - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Admin functions contrib
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Basically I think we are converging on an answer that we can't do any of
> this for 7.5.

If it's not going into the distribution as contrib or core, I'll package
that as additional admin pack. I'm quite sure I can convince the win32
installer packager guys to include that as default-on option as soon as
I'm able to prove them how it's working.

> The scope has gone way beyond what we had at feature
> freeze, and we can't even get it to work on Win32,

??? The functions will work for win32, are you talking about logging?
The win32 log issue isn't a serverlog rotation issue, as I stated also
the current stderr output is affected! I'd clearly see that as a fix,
whilst it might be more than 10 lines of code. I'll try to fix that
tomorrow. The very log_destination=file and rotation code will be more
or less the same as for ***x.

> I have added this to the TODO list:
>
>     * Allow server logs to be read using SQL commands
>     * Allow server configuration parameters to be modified remotetly

This is desirable in any case. But until 7.6 will be around, 1-1.5 years
and ???,000 installations will happen. Since the functionality is
available now or will be available VSN (certainly before 7.5 release),
there's no good reason suppress it.

Regards,
Andreas