Re: Assisting developers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Assisting developers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> One failing that has appeared during the 7.5 development cycle is that
> we as a community haven't been able to provide timely feedback to
> developers working on large feature additions.
>
> I am particularly thinking of Alvaro (nested transactions) and Simon
> (PITR), where we haven't been able to give them sufficient feedback to
> make them fully productive.
>
> I am not sure what can be done to solve this in the future.  There are
> only a limited number of us who have the experience and time to review
> and comment on very complex patches.
>
> Hopefully this is just growing pains and the community will grow to the
> point where we can have more people focused on assisting developers
> adding complex features.

Well, I note (and I'm not being unkind or anything here) that a lot of
the high level committers we have haven't been so active this release.
Peter and Joe haven't been around much and Jan has been busy with Slony.  We also lost Thomas Lockhart.  Neil's also
awayon holidays.  You and

Tom have basically been doing all the reviewing - a great job - but I
can't believe Tom hasn't cracked yet :P

I've been around for years, but I've never really gotten into the depths
of things, so I'm not much use for checking complex patches, but I'm
willing to review simpler stuff :)

Maybe you should promote a new committer?  (Not me!)

Chris