Re: PgSQL not as Administrator - probs on w - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: PgSQL not as Administrator - probs on w
Date
Re: PgSQL not as Administrator - probs on w
List pgsql-hackers-win32
Darko Prenosil wrote:

>> Want to limit the success of native? Surefire way to do it.
>>
>>I am not in the community and don't want my first comment to be bitching,
>>but maybe you can bring that up for me?
>>

>It seems that the 'linux' way 'scares' some win users :-(

In the win32 user's sight, the current implementation is very dogmatic.
While there *has* to be some dogmatism about security, IMHO in the case
of account to run pgsql on this is up to the administrator, not us. We
should recommend using a separate user, support it in the installer by
default as comfortable as possible, but enforcing it is regarded as
non-native and thus suspicious in the win32 world.

Running as admin is so common for Windows, you'd never see complaints
about that aspect. Even programs *requiring* admin rights are widely
accepted (with some minor grumbling).

It's another universe...

Regards,
Andreas