Jewel from LinuxTag - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Jewel from LinuxTag
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Reviewing the LinuxTag slides, I found this precious little citation
from Peter Gulutzan's speech (MySQL AB) about "MySQL and Progress Toward
the SQL Standard".

Enjoy!

"... And the final item is whether we should abort a statement and
return an error message if, for example, you try to insert a 5-character
string into a 4-character column. We won't do that even though it's a
standard SQL requirement. One good reason is that, if we did, we could
have half-done transactions and thus ruin the integrity of a MyISAM
table. So we can't really perform abortions as often as the SQL Standard
would like. "

Regards,
Andreas