Re: Trying to minimize the impact of checkpoints - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jack Orenstein
Subject Re: Trying to minimize the impact of checkpoints
Date
List pgsql-general
Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 6/12/2004 1:44 PM, Jack Orenstein wrote:
>
>> Any opinions on the stability of 7.5 and the effectiveness of the
>> background writer in reducing variability in performance due to checkpoints?
>
> I didn't save any of the charts done with 7.4, but the responsetime
> spikes on checkpoints went up to 60 seconds without the bgwriter. If you
> look at the last chart on this page
>
>     http://developer.postgresql.org/~wieck/vacuum_cost/
>
> there are no spikes at all.

This looks very promising. Our product should be installed by then. Do you know
what the process of migrating from 7.4.2 to 7.5 will be? Will it be simply a
software upgrade or will databases have to be modified in some way?

Jack Orenstein