Re: Opteron scaling with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Subject Re: Opteron scaling with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 07:19:05AM -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:
> > "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > Another important point is that the data in an organization is always
> > > more valuable than the hardware and the software.
> > >
> > > Hose up the hardware and the software, and insurance gets new stuff.
> > >
> > > Hose up the data and you are really hosed for good.
> >
> > It's amazing, how many people don't seem to get that.
>
> It's often not true.
>
> I use postgresql for massive data-mining of a bunch of high-update
> rate data sources. The value of the data decreases rapidly as it
> ages. Data over a month old is worthless. Data over a week old has
> very little value.
[snip]

Good argument and well-made. So s/always/frequently/ in Dann Corbit's
comments.  Perhaps even "most often."  The point is: Many people, some
even so-called "SysAdmins," will compromise on hardware and software,
apparently w/o thought to the fact that the unique, original,
irreplaceable data that hardware and software is handling is indeed
valuable and (possibly) irreplaceable.

Jim